OF CHAIRS AND SEATS


 

 

 

 


 

**BASED ON A REAL LIFE SITUATION. THE PEOPLE AND INSTITUTION MENTIONED HEREIN ARE USED FICTITIOUSLY.**

 
I entered the class with a lot of psyche after that day's supper. That dusk preps,I wanted to study some chemistry. Chemistry was one of the notorious subjects that had disapproved my intelligence in the just concluded Continuous Assessment Tests. But alas! My seat was not there. Somebody must had just snatched it. I remembered I had been in class at around games time,not so long ago and my chair was there.
"What's this now,agggh!" I lamented loudly.

 
Somebody had taken my chair,wasn't that the case? Well,my survival instincts quickly dictated that I do the same. I had to snatch another. I needed not to look any further. There was a seat to a locker right beside mine. It belonged to Collins,a very heavily built short man from the suburbs of Migori. I took the chair quickly and fitted it in my place before someone could notice.
A few minutes later, Collins walked in. He had for long been the epitome of influence wherever he was, courtesy of his strong humorous language which clearly indicated of his native Luo ascent. This made him known all over the school by students,teachers and even the support staff. Almost everything Collins did could not fail to spread an ear to ear smile across your face. And his Dholuo mother-tongue was very near in his mouth.
A slight irritation and he could mutter explosively in his mother-tongue. During discussions, he would visibly argue in Dholuo out of the teacher's earshot when English seemed to fail him. This virtues made him famous around the school compound and nobody dared cross his path.

 
As Collins walked in that evening,people were already bursting in laughter. On his feet were two slippers of different kinds and colors. His shirt hang on his masculine frame funnily, with it's half being tucked in and the other half hanging loose. Then he reached for his desk. There was no chair! I secretly studied him and the look on his face signaled trouble. Collo, as he was better known, went on to silence the class and ask us the whereabouts of his chair. The whole class burst it laughter, enjoying Collo's predicaments. The backbenchers jokingly told him to check it out with the house keeper or check it from the principal's office. All this while I was seated still, pretending to be deeply burried in the Mole Concept.

Out of rage, Collo decided to check all the 73 chairs one by one. The chairs had unique identification numbers which matched the numbers of their respective lockers. His locker was number 189 and he was frantically looking for a chair labelled 189. After searching the first two rows, he seemed impatient and decided to go for specific people, those who were branded criminals and class trouble makers. Most of them sat at the back. As Collo made his way to the back, he passed by my locker and something struck his eye. I thought he was gone but alas! 

He stopped abruptly and made a ninety degrees turn on my back. All hell broke loose. 

"Kara in m'in gi komba!" He shouted something loosely translating to so you're the one with my chair. Collo proceeded to violently pull his chair from the back, an action that nearly made me remain seated squarely on the ground.😂

Mboto Harry Ivan

Mboto Harry Ivan is an MCK accredited student journalist, with a proven track record in quality content writing, social media management, audio and video editing and graphics design. He is currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Linguistics, Media, and Communication (LMC) at Moi University main campus. Harry has in the past worked with Moi University Press Club (the 3rd Eye) and is currently engaged with The Legacy Media Moi University, UnreportedKe, Newsday Kenya, Eye Digital TV and Opera News Hub Kenya, collaborating with a talented team to create compelling news stories and features for digital and print media. He can be reached on phone at +254706292887, WhatsApp at +254102796337 or email: ryiharvan@gmail.com / harryivan272@gmail.com.

Post a Comment

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post